Congratulations! You are pregnant! Now what are the next steps? Should you shop, google “steps after getting pregnant”, talk to friends, see doctors, start eating healthy, or look for a daycare? All these steps are valid and should be considered, but most importantly–enjoy the process!
When I had my first child, Cindy, I was in your shoes too. What should I do now that the pregnancy test showed positive? I had to learn through experience. This is what I would recommend:
0-3 months Pregnant
- Call your doctor and schedule an appointment (usually won’t see you until you’re 10 weeks in)
- Start taking Prenatal vitamins, eat healthy, and get light exercise in.
- Avoid hazardous foods (Link here)
- Stop drinking alcohol / smoking
- Cut down on caffeine
- Create a baby budget
- Start tracking your weight gain (More info here)
- Small getaway while your belly is still small.
3-6 months Pregnant
- Tell friends / family / work
- Start planning for daycare options (quality ones have long waitlists)
- Plan baby shower or small gathering
- Create a list of things that you will need (really not much)
- How do you plan to deliver your baby? (natural, c-section, epidural? Doctor or midwife?)
- Create a plan for when you’re in labor (driving route, doctors, overnight bag|)
6 months – end of pregnancy
- Take photos of baby bump
- Prepare baby’s room
- Pack overnight bag (Clothes, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, toothbrush, makeup, brush, etc)
- Plan driving route to place where you plan to deliver baby
- Pack 2 outfits for your new baby
- Pack Id / insurance cards
Congratulations on welcoming your new baby home!